Wednesday, August 20, 2008

More than 5000 Served!

I remember when McDonald's reached the "more than one million served" mark. That was back when the stores were glass and the arches were really high. It reminds me of a conversation that Tony and I had the other day that gave me a perspective on the Mesem translation I had not previously had.

We were going to the Boy's Club, of course, and he was spinning a basketball in his hands. I was telling him about some revision I had been doing in 1 John and how at times I feel like this has been a very, very long race. I joke that we are in "mile 34 of a marathon". I was just really feeling very weary and I confess, I am not the best at juggling translation, itineration, and two other outside ministries all at the same time. Tony's comment to me was, "Mom, did you ever think of how many people God can save among the Mesem?". I said I had, because "There are 5000 Mesem people". He had one of those, "Gee, isn't she thinking?" looks and put it in perspective, "It's not just the Mesem now, Mom, what about their kids who get saved through the Bible and all who come after".

I am slow or what? He was completely right of course. The English Bible has been revised many times over as has that of every major language. However, had Tyndale and Wycliffe not translated....well where would we be today? Generations are affected by this work, not just those who live to see the first completed New Testament.

Tony is in PA now and Neil is out visiting churches. I'll go back to 1 John with a renewed sense of purpose.
Blessings, Kathy

No comments: