Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Gems While We Wait


Like most people we find waiting difficult. We are anxious to complete the New Testament but first many things must come together. We need a new place to live having spent the last 9 months in a wonderful home provided by wonderful friends (whose photo, I hope, I have inserted properly...and these are but a few of you). We work at finding new partners to share the task with us, churches that will "pray this one through" with us. While we do these things the New Testament must "wait" till we can give it our full attention. I confess, when I am totally honest, I so want to just push other things aside and get back to work on it. But my timing is not God's, my time is His, but not my sense of timing.

Friends have left me with "gems" while we wait. One said, "Always remember it is God's Name on the line, not ours". At the time, I was wrestling with another ministry that while not Bible translation, was indeed resulting in a number of people coming to Christ. This "gem" reminds me that the results are His, the reputation is His, and the timing is His.

Later, as other challenges presented themselves, another dear friend pointed out it was intersting that God brought Israel from a rich land, Egypt, where they were slaves, to a desert place where they were free. How true is this in our lives? It is for freedom that Christ set us free!

The picture is bigger than we are, and God is doing something greater than we can imagine. While we wait, there are gems to be gathered up and lessons learned. At times in "desert places" we learn the real meaning of freedom since there is nothing left to distract us :). The Mesem will get the New Testament at the right time, and we will keep on following, knowing we have been blessed with great companions on the journey.

Time to go to evening worship.

No comments: